Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Losing My Religion


Thirty years ago I mentored a young man who wanted to be a United Methodist minister.

He and his family came to the church looking for Christian education for the kids. They had no real church background. It was all new. They loved the church right away and were soon at the center of church life.

Tom (not his real name) asked lots of questions. He asked about the Bible and about theology and we had some great conversations. He was smart and inquisitive and totally captured by Jesus. He wanted to be a disciple in every possible way.

It was not long before he spoke with me about becoming a candidate for ordained ministry. I remember the excitement we felt when the congregation voted to support and affirm his candidacy.

He left his job and went to seminary full time.

I was convinced that he had the gifts and graces for ministry and that he would be a great pastor.

It soon became clear from our conversations that Tom was becoming much more conservative in his theology and that he was trending toward a much more literalistic reading of the Bible. In my mind, that was less than optimum but I still could see him as an excellent pastor.

But the Conference Board of Ministry did not see him as I did. They turned him down. They continued him as a Local Pastor but they would not recommend him for ordination.

I was outraged.

I made phone calls to everyone I could think of, including the Bishop, to plead his case. I wrote letters and the church wrote letters.

There was plenty of room for Tom, I thought, in the big tent of United Methodist theology.

And I had many conversations about it with friends and colleagues.

One of those conversations imprinted itself in my brain.

My friend and colleague Kent Moorehead listened attentively as I told him what had happened to Tom and how zealously I had advocated on his behalf.

After a short exchange, Kent smiled and told me that he admired my loyalty and my efforts. Then he said this:

“That’s great, Bill, but you do realize that if they are ever in the majority, those people will vote you out in a heartbeat.”

And yesterday in St. Louis that is exactly what they did.


Tom was not there. He drifted  around some very conservative churches in our conference and then into other denominations. But his soul mates were in St. Louis. And by a slim margin they voted to make United Methodism a rigidly literalistic and judgmental denomination with no room for dissent.

They chose law over grace.

They put the highest value on obeying the rules.

They will talk about biblical authority, but what they mean is that everyone should agree with how they read the Bible: with narrow judgment focused on the narrow issue of LGBTQIA exclusion.

That’s it.

Technically, I have not lost my religion. I can still be a Christian. But I have lost my denomination.

I will not go gently.

I will not comply with the demand for a loyalty oath.

And I will work for a new and better church rising from the wreckage.






Thank you for reading. Your thoughts and comments are always welcome. Please feel free to share on social media as you wish. 

8 comments:

  1. Thanks, Bill. I recommend that folks look at this research by Kapya Kaoma (doctorate from Boston University in Ethics) for context: "The U.S. Christian Right and the Attack on Gays in Africa"

    https://www.politicalresearch.org/2009/12/01/the-u-s-christian-right-and-the-attack-on-gays-in-africa/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That connection is an important piece of the larger picture.

      Delete
  2. Open hearts open minds #justamarketingslogan

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family was Methodists before I was born. My father left the church, forcing my mother to leave also. I did not grow up in church. When a tragic event happened in my life, I found God and went back to what was my family's roots. I am saddened that what I thought was the right choice for me is now a point of anger for me. I love everyone, no matter what. I thought that is what it was all about, not excluding people "deemed unfit" to receive God's Grace. Shame on those who have shown their true colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How does one who was born Methodist, who comes from multiple generations of Methodists stop being Methodist? I'm still Methodist. It's the "UMC" whose theology is in question, not mine. And I will never cave in to or be governed by theocracy or theocrats. I'm praying to find a way to stay, even if it's as a burr under their saddle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is not yet finished. There is judicial review, matters deemed unconstitutional even before the vote. Let the denomination split, then we can stop debating and posturing and do the work God has called us to. With voting there are winners and losers; God's grace cannot be legislated. Loyalty oaths date back to empire, and the perceived need for such rise from fear and broken trust. I grieve for our church as it stands today, and has for a while, but I know with certainty a better day is coming. We may be experiencing what many felt during Reformation or when the Methodist Episcopal Church emerged during the revolution. Remembering our church history helps. The Holy Spirit is at work.

    ReplyDelete